Located in the Heights section of Shelter Island, the project called for the renovation and expansion of an 1800’s Victorian House. Challenges included the restricted building envelope, the proximity of neighbors and the desire to create a public face and yet maintain the privacy of the owners. A 1200 s.f structure was added to the Victorian. The existing building was completely renovated to permit an integration of details between the old and the new. A series of brick steps, patios and arbors interweave the two traditional and modern structures and provide a layering of spaces from public, a traditional porch on the facing street, to private, an enclosed courtyard framed by trellises and a private deck off the Master Bedroom. Materials include: brick paving and walls with bluestone caps, 2 sizes of clapboard siding, painted wood windows, asphalt shingles and zinc coated copper roofing and gutters.