Located near Harvard Square, the project called for the renovation and expansion of a 1950’s Carleton Richmond House. Challenges included the narrow site, proximity of neighbors and the desire to balance the privacy of a couple with the active social requirements of their professional lives.
All major living spaces were reorganized to create an open plan and respond to an L-shaped pool; thereby creating an easy transition between the interior and exterior. Walls to the east and south are shaded by a brise-soleil; whereas the west wall is more opaque, responding to the close proximity of an adjoining house.
Materials include: bluestone pavers, inside and outside, wood and glass walls, a new kitchen, a wood burning fireplace and skylights.